Americans everywhere are asking whether values like equality and upward mobility are being advanced or set back by President Trump’s proposed budget cuts. In this time of heated debate, Add Passion and Stir guests Chef Matt Jennings of Townsman in Boston and William Foster of The Bridgespan Group share their expertise on how we can activate the sense of urgency many of us feel right now. These two leaders chat with Share Our Strength founder and CEO Billy Shore about how they and others are leading change right now during this ‘scary time’ for social justice. Chef Matt notes that “A fire has been lit… and it’s burning hotter and brighter than ever before,” and William believes that “threats and challenges can bring out greatness.” Chef Matt describes the work he is doing connecting with his restaurant guests, the broader community, and his own employees to ensure everyone has access to food and a fair standard of living. William outlines how he is helping both philanthropists and social justice nonprofits see the opportunities to drive transformative change in this unsettled time. Be inspired by how these industries are rallying to make it better.
Listen and Learn:
· How people are rethinking funding of social programs
· Why America is the most generous country in the world
· How to lose 140 pounds
Resources and Mentions:
· No Kid Hungry: Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is ending child hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.
· Bridgespan: Bridgespan helps mission-driven organizations and philanthropists to advance their learning and accelerate their impact.
· Townsman: Townsman is a brasserie-inspired, New England restaurant, located on the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Downtown Boston. Townsman sources pristine ingredients from the surrounding area with menus reflective of sustainability and seasonality, celebrating the Northeast growing region and waters. Townsman is lively and convivial with a refined sensibility and a welcoming atmosphere, reminiscent of your favorite neighborhood haunt.
· Anti-Defamation League: To stop the defamation of the Jewish people, and to secure justice and fair treatment to all.
· Meals on Wheels: We galvanize the resources of local community organizations, businesses, donors, sponsors, government and more than two million volunteers into a national safety net for our seniors.