- Why is sleep the best remedy for just about everything? Billy Shore sits down with Thrive Global Founder and CEO Arianna Huffington and pastry chef and North Fork Table & Inn owner Claudia Fleming to talk about the effects of stress and exhaustion on creativity, productivity and health. “90% of the health care problems we deal with are stress-related and preventable,” says Huffington. “If your life is just about productivity and there is no joy, there is something wrong,” she explains, talking about how her Thrive Global platform helps people improve their well-being and performance. Fleming is aware of her own tendency to overwork. “You can literally never stop. You can stay all night, but if you don’t say ‘I’m leaving’, you can hang out all the time and not be very productive,” she says.
Huffington also discusses how technology and our acrimonious political climate are creating additional stress that can be crippling. “There is absolutely no benefit in living in a perpetual state of outrage. We need to be very protective of our energy and use it wisely, use it to bring about change rather than simply venting,” she advises. Fleming sees her role as a chef as innately political. “Food is politics. You can’t get away from the fact that agribusiness runs a good portion of our government,” she explains.
Listen to this thoughtful discussion on the dangers of exhaustion and burnout and recalibrate your understanding of creativity, productivity and performance.
Resources and Mentions:
· No Kid Hungry (nokidhungry.org): Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is ending child hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.
· Arianna Huffington is an author, syndicated columnist, and businesswoman. She is the founder of The Huffington Post, the founder and CEO of Thrive Global, and the author of fifteen books. In May 2005, she launched The Huffington Post, a news and blog site. In August 2016, she launched Thrive Global, a corporate and consumer well-being and productivity platform. She has been named to Time Magazine’s list of the world’s 100 most influential people and the Forbes Most Powerful Women list. Her last two books, Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder and The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time, both became instant international bestsellers. She serves on numerous boards, including Uber, Onex, and Global Citizen. In 2009, Huffington was #12 in Forbes’s first-ever list of the Most Influential Women in Media. She is also #42 in The Guardian’s Top 100 in Media List. As of 2014, she is listed by Forbes as the 52nd Most Powerful Woman in the World.
· Thrive Global is a corporate and consumer well-being and productivity platform that offers science-based solutions to improve performance. Arianna Huffington launched Thrive Global to go beyond raising awareness and create something real and tangible that would help individuals, companies and communities improve their well-being and performance and unlock their greatest potential. Thrive Global is uniquely positioned to sustainably change behavior by reaching people at home, at work and through the technology they already use. The multi-pronged offering yields a revolutionary approach to ending the epidemic of stress and burnout.
· Claudia Fleming is one of the most respected pastry chefs in America and owner of the North Fork Table and Inn. Originally a professional dancer, Fleming enrolled at the New York Cooking School while working as a server at the Union Square Café. After studying pastry in Paris, she returned to New York and worked at Montrachet, TriBeCa Grill, Luxe, and Gramercy Tavern, which she helped open in 1994. In 2000, Fleming earned the James Beard Foundation award for “Outstanding Pastry Chef.” And Pastry Art & Design named her one of their “Top 10 Pastry Chefs” in 2000 and 2011. Fleming has shared recipes in Food & Wine, The New York Times, Martha Stewart Living, Vogue, and many more. Her first book, The Last Course: Desserts from Gramercy Tavern, was released in 2001. In 2006, she and her husband opened The North Fork Table & Inn.
· North Fork Table and Inn focuses on seasonally inspired and locally grown biodynamic and organic produce, the freshest seafood from the pristine Peconic Bay and Long Island Sound and award-winning North Fork duck and beef. Increasingly distinguished and awarded Long Island wines are highlighted on the wine list, as well as their national and international counterparts. The inn is refurbished and operated in the tradition of the finest European and American country inns. The rooms offer a comfortable place to lay your head after dining in the acclaimed restaurant below.