In this episode of Add Passion and Stir, James Beard Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award winning chef Nora Poullion and Martha’s Table President and CEO Patty Stonesifer have an inspiring conversation with Share Our Strength founders Billy and Debbie Shore about being the change you want to see in the world. Both women identified problems that needed solving – Nora saw America’s unhealthful food supply and Patty saw low income families not having adequate opportunity – and tackled these problems with their own skills, experience and conviction. Nora took her European perspective and desire to feed her family and restaurant guests healthful food and opened America’s first certified organic restaurant. Patty leveraged her expertise as a technology executive (Microsoft and Amazon) and foundation builder (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) to better serve families and communities in Washington, DC with education and food. These pioneering women use both their heads and their hearts to make change in their communities. Hear their uplifting, energizing stories and get motivated to become a better social activist.
Listen and Learn:
• The health benefits of organic food
• How corporate skills can be an advantage in social activism
• How to persevere through adversity to achieve transformative change
Resources and Mentions:
• No Kid Hungry: Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is ending child hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.
• Martha’s Table: For over 35 years, Martha’s Table has worked to support stronger children, stronger families and stronger communities by increasing access to quality education program,s, healthy food, and family supports. We believe that every child deserves the opportunity for their brightest future, and a deeply engaged family and community committed to their success.
• James Beard Foundation: The James Beard Foundation’s mission is to celebrate, nurture, and honor chefs and other leaders making America’s food culture more delicious, diverse, and sustainable for everyone.