Can you harness entrepreneurial skills like openness, flexibility and “prepared awareness” to get involved in issues that matter to you? Jean Case of The Case Foundation and entrepreneur Trenor Williams, founder & CEO at Socially Determined, believe we can. On this week’s episode of Add Passion and Stir, Jean and Trenor chat with Share Our Strength founder and CEO Billy Shore about how individuals, start-up businesses and even government are innovating to find creative ways to solve big problems. Jean shares lessons from her experience with tech giant AOL in its early stages and as a philanthropist funding innovation and cross-sector collaboration. Trenor explains how he used his medical training as a catalyst for creating companies that creatively solve health care problems, including Clinovations and Socially Determined. They have found that entrepreneurs come from all walks of life, and often people who have lived problems are in the best position to solve them. What problems have you faced in your life and what will be your role in creating solutions? Listen to hear how you can use your unique strengths to get involved.
Resources and Mentions:
• No Kid Hungry: Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is ending child hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.
• The Case Foundation: The Case Foundation, created by digital pioneers Jean and Steve Case, is a diverse and dynamic institution by design. We create programs and invest in people and organizations that harness the best impulses of entrepreneurship, innovation, technology and collaboration to drive exponential impact. Our partners are changemakers with ideas that have transformative potential and can lead us to uncover new, more impactful ways of addressing chronic social challenges.
• Clinovations: Our consultants take a clinically oriented approach to helping you optimize your health care technologies—an approach that’s proven effective for some of the largest health systems in the nation.
• Dosomething.org: We’re activating young people in every US area code and in 131 countries! You’ve got the power and the passion to make a difference on any issue you want — we’ll help you get it done.
• Mobilize.org: Mobilize.org empowers and invests in Millennials to create and implement solutions to social problems.
• The Mission Continues: The Mission Continues empowers veterans who are adjusting to life at home to find purpose through community impact. We deploy veterans on new missions in their communities, so that their actions will inspire future generations to serve.
• A Billion + Change: The vision of A Billion + Change is to transform business culture so that all companies in America will respond to the needs of their community and unleash the talent and expertise of their people in pro bono and skills-based service.