On October 30, 2019, Share Our Strength held its first ever No Kid Hungry Leadership Summit. Activists, philanthropists, teachers, chefs and other thought leaders gathered to collaborate and share best practices in the fight to end childhood hunger. This special episode of Add Passion and Stir features some of the highlights from that day.
“It is just a symptom that children are hungry in this country… and the truth of the matter is that the real issue is poverty.” –George Jones, CEO of Bread for the City
“If you want to lead, you have to follow. You have to follow great principles.” – John Miller, President and CEO of Denny’s Corporation
“We have to find a way to connect this abundance of agriculture that we have with the children that need it the most. And that fuels the economy.” – Dorothy McAuliffe, Former first lady of Virginia
“As the mother of a school teacher, it is really important that we are there for our education system because that’s the best way we can look to the future.” – Renee Grisham, philanthropist
“If I’m trying to teach a student who has food insecurity or who hasn’t eaten, it’s like trying to put a roof on a house with no foundation.” – Julie Pittman, Teacher in Rutherford County Schools, North Carolina
Listen in as some of the most dedicated champions in the fight against child hunger share what Billy Shore describes as their “constancy of purpose.”
Resources and Mentions:
- No Kid Hungry (nokidhungry.org): Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is ending child hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.
- George Jones serves as CEO of Bread for the City, an organization that helps low income Washington, DC residents develop their power to determine the future of their own communities. Bread for the City provides food, clothing, medical care, and legal and social services to reduce the burden of poverty.
- Danny Meyer is the CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group, which includes Union Square Cafe, and Gramercy Tavern. Meyer, his restaurants and chefs have earned an unprecedented 28 James Beard Awards. An active national leader in the fight against hunger, Meyer serves on the board of Share Our Strength and has long supported hunger relief initiatives including City Harvest, God’s Love We Deliver, and the Bed-Stuy Campaign Against Hunger.
- John Miller is the CEO and President of Denny’s Corporation. He is an active supporter of Share Our Strength, raising millions of dollars for the No Kid Hungry campaign since 2011.
- Renee Grisham is a philanthropist who focuses on women, education and the environment. Her family foundation leads efforts to feed, house, educate, provide healthcare, and protect the environment in places such as Virginia, Costa Rica, Haiti, and Peru.
- Dorothy McAuliffe was First Lady for the Commonwealth of Virginia. In this role, she served as Chair of the Commonwealth Council on Bridging the Nutritional Divide and engaged stakeholders across the Virginia food system to seek solutions that eliminate childhood hunger, develop local agriculture, and empower community efforts linking locally grown food, education, health, and nutrition. In her role chairing the No Kid Hungry Virginia campaign, she has led efforts to improve school meal access and increased the number of school breakfasts served each year by more than 10 million.