In this episode of Add Passion and Stir, Boston chef Ming Tsai (Blue Ginger, Blue Dragon) and Boston Medical Center pediatrician Debbie Frank talk with Share Our Strength founder Billy Shore about the vulnerability of children to food insecurity. Chef Ming and Dr. Frank bring different perspectives to the concept of food as medicine, particularly for children and families with few resources. Listen to their timely conversation about the profound health and economic consequences of poor nutrition and the responsibility we all share to protect children in our communities.
Listen and Learn
• The invisible effects of malnutrition – developmental, behavioral and medical impacts on kids
• The serious and even fatal consequences of policy decisions that cut social programs like Medicaid and SNAP (food stamps), and threaten the stability of immigrants
• What chefs and individuals can do to help families who are food insecure
Resources and Mentions
• Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is ending child hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need, every day.
• The Grow Clinic for Children is an outpatient subspecialty clinic at Boston Medical Center that provides comprehensive specialty medical, nutritional, developmental and social services and dietary assistance to children from the Greater Boston area.
• Family Reach is a lifeline for families fighting cancer. Family Reach is a 501(c)(3) organization that provides assistance to families with a child or parent afflicted with cancer.